The Alarm Is Sounding–Respond in Prayer!
Afghan Christians in Danger One Year Later
Answered Prayer: Tide Turns against Transgender Activism
Conservatives Sweep FL School Boards
Can Republicans Take Congress?
The Alarm Is Sounding–Respond in Prayer!
Analysis. Imagine you’re lying in your cozy, warm bed when all of a sudden the alarm goes off. How do you respond? Do you stay tucked under the covers while the loud, shrill sound continues? Do you turn it off and go back to bed? Or, does the sound drive you to jump up and get ready for the day? Hopefully, the loud blast opens your eyes and urges you to move instead of staying asleep.
Have you taken your place on the wall?
This is how we should approach the biblical month of Elul each year. Known as the month of reflection and repentance, it’s a unique time to hear the awakening blast of the shofar (trumpet) that’s being played by our King and Creator. We are urged to open our ears so we can hear and heed the voice of our Savior as he prepares us for the year to come. On the Gregorian calendar, Elul will fall in August or September yearly. This year it will begin on August 28, 2022 and last until sundown on September 25, 2022.
Unprecedented events have unfolded in just the last year both nationally and globally which remind us that observing Elul is more important than ever. These events and issues reveal that spiritual battles are increasing not only in number, but in severity. During Elul, the shofar is sounded as not just an awakening blast, but as an alarm. In fact, the month of Elul precedes the Feast of Trumpets, also known as Yom Teruah, or the Day of Alarm. As Christians, we cannot sleep through this alarm, or turn it off. We must wake up, jump out of bed and respond with intercession and prayer.
Here are some of the issues and events that have raised an alarm in the past biblical year:
- Vaccine mandates were instituted around the world.
- The Trucker Protests in Canada and the United States took the world by storm.
- A disinformation board was created to push heavy censorship in the U.S. (other countries are pursuing this as well).
- A huge push for digital currencies is happening in the U.S. and around the world–President Biden signed Executive Order 14067 which economists have called “the most treasonous act in history.”
- Digital IDs are in the works and gaining traction all over the world.
- Globalists attempted to take over national health sovereignty through the World Health Organization when they met in May 2022 and they continue in their quest.
- The War in Ukraine began and continues to escalate.
- Energy/oil crises are happening around the world.
- Diesel fuel shortages are looming.
- Global food crises and shortages are occurring worldwide.
- Farmer protests are breaking out
- Sky-high inflation on gas, food, travel.
- Monkeypox has been labeled a “health emergency” and a vaccine has been rolled out.
- The overturning of Roe Wade.
- The LGBTQ agenda continues to be pushed through legislation as states and intercessors fight back.
- Joe Biden traveled to Bethlehem and solidified his support for a Palestinian state.
- The Inflation Reduction Act was passed which will raise inflation and create 87,000 new IRS agents and expand abortion
- President Trump’s residence in Florida was raided by the FBI (an unprecedented act in our nation’s history).
It’s clear that the alarm has sounded. Now it’s time to respond with prayer and repentance during the month of Elul.
For background, Elul is the sixth month on the biblical religious calendar and the twelfth (last) month on the civil calendar. It derives from an ancient Akkadian word meaning harvest and is similar to the Aramaic root verb which means to search. Known as the month of repentance, it has special significance because it precedes the High Holy Days that fall in the month of Tishrei. The Bible refers to these Holy Days as feasts, which is translated as moed in Hebrew. This word means an appointed time or meeting. The implication is that the feasts are an important time to meet with God.
Holy Days which Follow Elul
- The Feast of Trumpets, also known as Rosh Hashanah, or the Day of Alarm–arrives after the last day of Elul on Tishrei 1, ushering in a new year on the biblical civil calendar. This year it begins at sundown on September 25 and ends at sundown on September 27.
- The Day of Atonement, also known as Yom Kippur, falls on the tenth of Tishrei (sundown on October 4 to sundown on October 5, 2022) and is considered the holiest day of the year. Fasting and prayer are key components of this feast (appointment).
- The Feast of Tabernacles, also known as Sukkot, begins on the fifteenth of Tishrei, lasting for 7 days (sundown on October 9 to sundown on October 16, 2022). Known as “The Season of our Joy,” this feast includes singing, dancing, eating and celebrating.
Because Elul arrives before these important appointments with God, it’s also called the month of preparation. This time of preparation can be used to pray for issues/sins affecting one’s own personal life, but also for national sins or concerns.
The Shofar is the Key to Understanding Elul
- The shofar (ram’s horn) is blown every morning except Shabbat from Elul 1 through Elul 28 in both Orthodox and Messianic synagogues. It is not blown on the last day of the month–Elul 29, which is the day before the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah).
- The curved shape of the shofar symbolizes the act of being bent or submissive to God.
- The piercing blast serves as a wake-up call for all believers.
- It’s stirring sound opens blinded eyes.
- The Hebrew root of the word shofar is the word shaper, which means to beautify or improve.
- The sound of the shofar serves as a call to repentance.
The Sounds of the Shofar
- Tekiah–a long unbroken single blast–symbolizes the strength and hope of God and the sound of the King’s coronation.
- Shevarim–Three short, broken sounds–signifies wailing, weeping and sorrow for sin.
- Teru’ah–Nine short staccato blasts of alarm that are played very quickly–symbolizes awakening the soul.
- Tekiah ha Gadol–A very long blast played for as long as possible. Some biblical scholars call this the Last Trump or the Great Trump–signifies the glorious presence of God and the hope of redemption.
- After the month of Elul concludes, the Feast of Trumpets is ushered in. One hundred trumpet blasts will be played on this feast day–99 blasts, followed by the hundredth, which is the loudest and the longest. This signifies that the gates of heaven are open and the King is seated on his throne.
- The Hebrew word for repentance.
- To turn toward God and away from the world.
- To turn away from evil and turn towards what is good.
Maimonides writes: “There is a hidden message we are supposed to infer by listening to the shofar. It suggests to say, ‘Sleeping ones! Awaken from your sleep! Slumbering ones! Awaken from your slumber! Examine your deeds. Remember your Creator and do teshuvah.”
In the Bible, the shofar is associated with:
- The story of Abraham and Isaac–God showed mercy by providing a ram as the sacrifice. This is why Elul is called the month of mercy.
- The story of Jericho–the shofars that brought the wall down are a reminder of warfare, both physical and spiritual.
- The Tabernacle and the Temple–it was used during worship and praise (Psalm 47:5).
- The Ark of the Covenant–to celebrate its return to camp (2 Samuel 6:15).
- Warnings of impending danger, as well as warfare (Amos 3:6).
- Assembling/regathering people together (Isaiah 27:13, 1 Corinthians 15:52, 1 Thessalonians 4:16).
- Announcing messages and the arrival of the new moon and Jubilee years (Leviticus 25:9, Psalm 81:3)
- The coronations of Kings and declaring the arrival of the Messiah (Zechariah 9:14, 1 Kings 1:34).
- God’s voice, as well as Jesus’ voice (Exodus 19, Revelation 1:10, 4:1).
- Celebrating the Feast of Trumpets (Leviticus 23:24, Numbers 29:1).
- New beginnings (Numbers 10:10).
The shofar’s piercing blast can only be heard if air (wind) is blown through it. The flowing air can be likened to the Holy Spirit, which is the “wind” provided by Jesus to his followers (John 3:8). As we listen to the Holy Spirit, we are heeding the shofar’s call. Also, as the Holy Spirit (wind) moves through us, we can trumpet the truth to others.
The days of Elul precede a new year that arrives on Tishrei 1 (Rosh Hashanah). Therefore, it’s the time of year to look back on one’s life and evaluate your deeds, as well as any fruit that was produced.
- For Jewish people who do not know Jesus as the Messiah, the focus is on achieving right standing with God, so he will assign them a favorable judgment.
- According to Jewish tradition, God will make his judgment each year on the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah) and he will seal this judgment on the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur).
- This is why Jewish people will greet each other during Elul by saying, “May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year.”
For Christians, as well as Messianic Jews (believers in Messiah Jesus), the month of Elul is also a time of introspection, but we recognize that Jesus fulfilled eternal atonement when he became the Lamb of God and died for the sins of those who put faith in him.
- Elul is a time to repent and turn back to the commandments of God, but it’s understood that no one is saved by their deeds–only the blood of Jesus brings salvation.
- Because Jesus finished it at the cross, believers don’t have to wonder each year whether God will forgive them and have mercy on their souls at Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).
- In Hebrew, Elul is used as an acronym for the phrase in Song of Songs 6:3 which says, “I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.”
- Jewish tradition teaches that God is in the field waiting for us during the month of Elul.
- Observing Elul provides a special opportunity to spend extra time with the King of Kings, but it’s not a biblical requirement.
The National Time of Repentance
The month of Elul is a time to address sins individually, but also nationally. Praying for a nation’s leaders, as well as sins related to idolatry can be focal points. Considering the list of events that have happened in the past year shared earlier in this guide, it would also be wise to pray about these issues and ask for discernment about how to respond.
- According to Jewish tradition, Moses returned to Mt. Sinai during the month of Elul and stayed there for 40 days after the incident of the Golden Calf (Exodus 32;34:27-28).
- The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) arrives 40 days after the first day of Elul. In ancient Israel, this is when the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies to plead for the sins of the nation.
- Elul is an opportune time to appeal to our High Priest (Jesus) and plead for the sins of our nation.
How can we pray for ourselves and our Nation during Elul?
- It is customary to sing the Psalms during the month of Elul. Therefore, we should pray through each one, using them as tools of intercession for ourselves and the nation.
- Psalm 27 is considered one of the most important ones to recite, particularly verses 5 and 6.
For in the day of trouble he will hide me in His shelter; in the secret place of His tabernacle will He hide me; He will set me high upon a rock. And now shall my head be lifted up above my enemies round about me; in His tabernacle I will offer sacrifices and shouting of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.
- Another tradition involves reciting prayers of repentance, known as Selichot, at least once a day during the month.
- After Elul concludes and the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah) begins, it is customary to travel to a body of water to participate in Tashlich. This involves throwing bread crumbs or stones into the water to simulate a casting off of sins as stated in Micah 7:19–He will again have compassion on us. And will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. This can also be done during the month of Elul. Christians can see a picture of Jesus in this activity as we cast our burdens and sins upon the “Living Water,” as well as the “Rock.”
- Some believers make a list of the key issues their nation is facing and ask for God’s discernment/wisdom about each one. This list is prayed over each day during the month.
National Issues to Pray about during Elul
- Abortion–Pray Psalm 139 and Jeremiah 1:4-5, which declare that all life is precious and that God knows us before we are born. Also pray for protection over organizations that spread the message that the unborn must be protected such as Live Action, Liberty Counsel, National Right to Life, American Center for Law and Justice as well as Intercessors for America.
- The Identity Crisis in our Nation–Pray for the youth in our country as they face an onslaught of confusing messages from peers, the media, school authorities and even doctors about their sense of identity. Pray for chains to be broken which entangle those who are entrenched in the LGBTQ movement. Pray for a spirit of truth to pervade our nation’s youth as 1 Corinthians 13:6-7 describes.
- Election Integrity–Pray for fair elections that are free from corruption and manipulation–2 Corinthians 8:21, Proverbs 11:3.
- Government Leadership–Pray for the exposure and removal of incompetent, unjust and/or deceitful leaders, as well as repentance from those who promote unrighteousness –Proverbs 16:12, Daniel 2:21.
- The Rise of Global Governance–Pray for awareness of organizations such as the United Nations, World Economic Forum, Council for Inclusive Capitalism, Rockefeller Foundation, World Bank, World Health Organization etc. which seek to control healthcare, finance, food supplies, and national policies. Pray for their schemes to be exposed, dismantled and destroyed–Psalm 2, Malachi 4:1. Also pray the leaders and members of these groups would repent–Daniel 9:1-17, 2 Timothy 2:25, Acts 8:22.
- Energy and Food Supplies–Pray that our energy grid is protected, as well as sources of fuel such as oil and diesel. Also pray the supply chain remains intact and any holes are repaired–2 Corinthians 9:10, Deuteronomy 11:15, Matthew 6:26.
- Wars and Rumors of Wars–Pray for protection over our nation as we face threats from countries such as Russia, China and Iran to name a few.
- Pray for Revival–Pray for our nation to be filled with leaders and influencers like Daniel, Esther, Nehemiah and King David who will awaken the nation with a loud trumpet blast and share biblical truth–Esther 4:1-17, Nehemiah 2:1-20, Daniel 6:1-28, 1 Samuel 17:1-58.
Romans 13:11-12 says, “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.”
This Elul, hear the piercing blast of the shofar and hearken others to heed its warning. The alarm has been raised so let’s respond to it.
How are you praying this Elul? Share your thoughts and prayers below.
Angela Rodriguez is an author, blogger and homeschooling Mom who studies the historical and biblical connections between Israel and the United States. You can visit her blogs at 67owls.com and 100trumpets.com. Her latest book, Psalm 91: Under the Wings of Jesus, was released in June 2021. Photo Credit: Patrick Fore on Unsplash.
Partner with Us
Intercessors for America is the trusted resource for millions of people across the United States committed to praying for our nation. If you have benefited from IFA's resources and community, please consider joining us as a monthly support partner. As a 501(c)3 organization, it's through your support that all this possible.
Receive updates from IFA
Join up with your local group and participate in God’s plan for your area.
Dang I honestly had no idea. Thank you so much. I have learned a lot from reading this. I am very thankful to be a part of Intercessors For America and I do feel as though some of the wait gets lifted off my shoulders just from praying. I do believe if prayer and know that it is powerful and that God does hear and respond especially when #1 our concern is valid and #2 we are not just selfishly praying that God gives us what we want or that the prayer may go against God’s will and could be the reason why some prayers go Un answered.
The most serious threat we face, which is at the root of the problems listed, is the Chinese Communist Party, which has been deliberately working for decades to destroy America. They have meddled in medical supply chains, financial institutions/ Wall Street/ Black Rock investing, corruption in government, academia, technology, drug trafficking of fentanyl, and promoting racial division, etc.
Sources to gain more information would be Frank Gaffney interview on the Epoch Times and his book, The CCP is at War with America. Also book Unrestricted Warfare.
Their atheistic ideology and racist beliefs are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions of lives in the last century.
I ask in the Name of Jesus that You destroy completely the Chinese Communist Party as an organization and a government entity. Free the Chinese people to walk in Your truth and light, and deliver the hundred-plus nations which have come under the thumb of the CCP by accepting financial offers.
Deliver the United States from all attacks in the spiritual realm and the natural realm, both foreign and domestic. Return us to the vision You gave our Founding Fathers when they wrote our Constitution and Bill of Rights. We declare You, and You alone, are our God. We ask Your forgiveness where we have strayed and failed to stay true to Your ways. Grant us mercy and restoration, and may we be used by You to bless all the nations of the world until Jesus returns.
Lord have mercy on us, forgive us for being unaware and help us to heed your call for repentance help me to tell others the time is now. Thank you Lord for your patience for You are The Lord and We humbly bow at Your Feet, and worship only You The King of Kings my Lord and Savior. Thank you for your mercy and Grace and each and every blessing you have given. It’s all from you Lord, thank you. Amen
Although this information is ancient, it is still pertinent to us today, more than ever as we move closer to the time Jesus will come for His children on n earth. May those who are His be faithful to pray and do the work preparing for His kingdom.
This is essential information. Its to be absorbed and utilized to the max since the Lord is assuring us Victory in areas we cant see at this moment.
Know there are too many patriot prayers going up unceasingly for the enemy to win.
For instance Patriots taking a stand blocks the IRS from finding enough mercenaries to even hir r.
Pastoral success in elections drive a wedge that will open the gates for farmers fertilizer even natural kind for use across the fields and gardens thus eliminating the fear mongers food shortage rant.
Bill gates is contained. His fields are dry dust blown landscapes. His concourse with Epstein is now a dry watering hole.
The Fed will find that which they dropped to zero to accumulate more will now find the boomerang
Stars who are spiritualist will be revealed as they find loosing a billion in one hour is possible. The stars and starlets will come to a different reality and the power and water go down.
The cold winter that is coming will affect the Pelosis as well as the common people.
However, our God reigns
Search me O God and know my heart today. Try me my Savior, Know my thoughts I I pray. See if there be some wicked way in me. Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
I have bookmarked this article to pray through over and over. What an EXCELLENT presentation of this essential information! Thank you, Angela!
Father, most of the time we don’t know exactly what we’re doing yet we strive to follow your word and teachings. So we pray for national repentance during thus time that us so resounding that the rest of the world noticed. We pray to be a beacon into the darkness of this time. Open the eyes of unbelievers and help them to see Your glory as we live out our days. Help us to keep our own lamps full and to be ever watchful while always remembering that we are not to fear, we are to know that Your righteous right hand has not let go of us. Father, we pray Your will be done, always Your will. In Jesus Faithful name
Father, thank You for Israel. Move in Your saints a sense of urgency to intercede for the USA and Israel and the completion of world wide Aliya to Israel. In the name of Yeshua HaMashich. Amen.
Father God we come to you in this season of Elul – we pray for all to awaken and take action by fervent prayer each day – pray for our nation – pray for each other – pray to dismantle all evil and all evil ones – rebuke them and cast them out in the name of Jesus. We repent of our sins Hearken ALL to the season of Elul and it’s full meaning. Amen. Amen.
I pray for spiritual revival of the whole world and all would come to know Christ as their personal Savior. I pray for God’s provision to all for food, water, heat and supplies and grocery stores and other stores will have full shelves everywhere thru fall and winter. Amen☦
ANGELA, Thank You so much for this information and the in depth instructions and guidance that we need now to understand and humble ourselves before GOD during these HOLY DAYS.
We so needed to have this information.
HEAVENLY FATHER, forgive us of our many sins—-so many we don’t even realize. Remove the scales from our eyes throughout these HOLY DAYS, and reveal YOURSELF to us in ways we have never experienced before.
FATHER, we are overcome by many things now, and we so desperately need YOUR closeness and YOUR guidance. HELP US, HEAVENLY FATHER, for we long for YOUR HOLY PRESENCE IN OUR LIVES……WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER.
HEAVENLY FATHER, let these HOLY DAYS change each of us, as we seek YOU with all of our hearts. In the precious and holy name of JESUS CHRIST YESHUA, our Savior and our Lord. Amen