Reversing the Stronghold of Roe
The dreadful decision of Roe v. Wade establishing a federal law protecting abortion on demand has been reversed. After nearly 50 years of praying and interceding for the Supreme Court of the United States to reverse this decision, they finally have. It was a sweeping decision stating that abortion was not a right protected by the Constitution, that Roe was based upon faulty thinking, and the issue of abortion should be decided by the voters in states to decide. The leak of the draft of this decision gave us a foreshadow of the result, a final decision clearly supporting the protection of all “prenatal life.”
Now the decision goes back to the states.
Now the decision goes to you!
You have the opportunity for the Body of Christ to stand up for life and make a difference now. First, we MUST pray for the breaking of the strongholds over the Body of Christ so we can fight this spiritual battle. How we think matters! When praying for the release of strongholds, we need to pray for the following thoughts to capture the Body of Christ.
- Most nations protect life. The United States of America was in the minority of countries in terms of laws protecting life. In fact, the U.S. was one of only a handful of nations that legalized abortion on demand up until birth (and in some states after birth). According to the FRC, the U.S. is one of ONLY SIX nations that permits this. So the U.S. is one of the most barbaric nations on the earth. Reversing Roe is a significant step protecting life. We cannot be duped into thinking abortion on demand is globally prevalent. The U.S. was the exception, not the rule. Now it is up to states to make these decisions, but we can’t let states allow laws as barbaric as Roe. The reversal of Roe makes it possible for the U.S. to align with countries that value life.Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. (Ps 33:12)
- Viability is an inherently flawed standard. Six of the justices agreed that the definition of viability in Roe, survivability outside of the womb, was problematic from the beginning. With the development of prenatal care, the application of Roe’s viability standard was always going to be difficult. Over time, technology has gotten better, causing Roe’s decision of when life began to change. Not only the development of technology, but also the availability of technology could cause the application of Roe to change upon a person’s location.Viability means survivability. A fetus is survivable in the womb from the point of conception. Justice Alito raised a term, “quickening,” used in our judicial history to describe the days when pregnancy was first detected by the mother’s sense of the life growing within her. The judicial history of our nation valued life from its first detection, and even made abortion after this point, quickening, a crime. In fact, in 1973 when the Roe decision was released, abortion was illegal in 30 states.For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. (Ps 139:13)
- Women are still able to exercise their rights. The very first and most important right a woman can exercise in the matter of abortion is the right to practice responsible sexuality. Responsible sexuality is the most effective manner to prevent an unintended or unwanted pregnancy. The prevalent mindset in this hyper-sexualized culture is pleasure comes first, then consequences can be dealt with in the most personally expedient manner. The reversal of Roe does not take away a woman’s ability to be responsible.Critics bring up incidences of rape or incest, which definitely need special consideration, but these terrible actions result in less than .3% of abortions recorded. We need God to reform and inform our view of sexuality and marriage.That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Gen 2:24)
- Abortion in your past does not disqualify you to protect life in the future. The prevalence of abortion among those within the Church is painful and unfortunate. Millions of Bible-believing women have made a decision to abort a child and latter regretted it. Millions of Bible-believe men were involved in these decisions and have experienced regret and trauma as a result. Forgiveness is found through Christ, who can forgive you and help you to forgive yourself. We cannot let the pain of our past neutralize our fight for the future.Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. (Ps 32:1-2)
The law has changed, but not necessarily mindsets. The Church must lead the way in the fight for life by first reversing the strongholds in our thinking.
An important consideration in reverse strongholds is our language. We must use the language that represents a biblical worldview and not language common in our culture that perpetuates the strong hold. Here are a few examples:
- A life in the womb is a child not an embryo or fetus.
- A heart beat of the child is not embryonic cardiac activity.
- An unborn baby responds to pain, not stimulus.
- Conversations should be discussed around the rights of the baby instead of the reproductive rights of the woman
- Prenatal care should replace reproductive health care
- Protection of the unborn child is the focus over a woman’s bodily autonomy
- Preborn humans are babies
- Pro-life focuses on the child as opposed to describing our views as anti-abortion or anti-choice
- Abortion is the taking of life, not women’s healthcare
- Right to life should be used in contrast to right to an abortion
All of these types of words and phrases attempt to shift the focus away from the child and places it on the woman.
Please pray with me. Lord, we are grateful for the Supreme Court of our land reversing a law supporting abortion on demand. We take on the rightful role to lead our nation in the fight for life in our states. By doing this, Lord, we pray for a release from the strongholds over our minds. We reject the U.S. being like the most barbaric nations in the world, allowing such tragic laws. We reject that doctors or judges determine the beginning point of life, instead of You. We reject the lie that protecting life means women must give up their rights–Your biblical design for sexuality protects us. We reject the stronghold of thinking that we are disqualified for doing the right thing because we did a wrong thing. Thank you, Lord, for Your forgiveness and freedom as we commit to the fight for life.
Share this article with your friends!
Partner with Us
Intercessors for America is the trusted resource for millions of people across the United States committed to praying for our nation. If you have benefited from IFA's resources and community, please consider joining us as a monthly support partner. As a 501(c)3 organization, it's through your support that all this possible.
Thanks for Praying!