3 Reasons You Are Called To Be An Intercessor
Father God, I haven’t been sure if intercession is the ministry for me—but now I see that it is. Please help me to fulfill this call! Teach me how to pray Your own will back to You, and use me powerfully in Your Kingdom!
Have you ever thought of intercessors as a weird group of super-Christians? If so, let’s dethrone that myth today. Intercession is for everyone, and YOU are definitely called to be an intercessor!
Here are three big reasons YOU are called to be an intercessor:
- Jesus is an intercessor, and your highest call is to become like Jesus.
Your eternal destiny is to become like Jesus. Look at these Scriptures:
“For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren” (Romans 8:29).
“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2 Corinthians 3:18).
“Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure” (1 John 3:2-3).
Our highest calling and privilege is to become like Jesus, and Jesus is the Ultimate Intercessor. As we read in Isaiah 53:
“Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong, because He poured out His soul unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors, and He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors” (Isaiah 53:12).
- Additionally, we are supposed to be like Holy Spirit—and Holy Spirit is an intercessor, too!
An intercessor is a simply an advocate for someone else—someone who stands in the gap. And guess what? Good news: That’s exactly what God the Holy Spirit is doing for you and for me right now! John 14:26 says:
“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” (NIV).
Romans 8:26-27 also shows how Holy Spirit advocates and intercedes for us, even to the point of helping us pray when we don’t know how to pray:
“Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”
Holy Spirit is an amazing Intercessor. He pleads your cause before whomever He needs to plead your cause. He is your Helper in all things, standing in the gap between you and everything else in the world!
Therefore, since we’re supposed to imitate God in every area, doesn’t it make sense that we should intercede also? Of course it does!
- Finally, the third reason YOU are called to be an intercessor is that the Bible specifically commands every single one of us to intercede.
Look at these Bible verses about intercession:
- “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence” (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
- “So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one” (Ezekiel 22:30).
- “He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor; therefore His own arm brought salvation for Him; and His own righteousness, it sustained Him” (Isaiah 59:16).
- “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much” (James 5:14-16).
- “… Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints” (Ephesians 6:18).
This list of Scriptures about intercession could go on and on. My friend, intercession is the job of every believer. We are ALL called to the ministry of intercession.
Friend, the enemy would love for you to believe that your prayers aren’t powerful, or that you aren’t called. But you know what? The devil is a liar and the father of lies.
The Word of God says that you ARE called to be an intercessor.
The Word of God says that your effective, fervent prayers accomplish MUCH! God’s Word says that you ARE called to stand in the gap before Him for the land, for our leaders, and for every other situation He brings to your attention.
It doesn’t matter where you are on your spiritual journey. It doesn’t matter if you just gave your life to Jesus yesterday or if you’ve been saved a hundred years. ALL of us are supposed to be like Jesus, the ultimate Intercessor. All of us are supposed to allow Holy Spirit to flow through us and manifest Himself in intercession. And all of us are commanded to obey the Scriptures.
Friend, you are an intercessor. A powerful one. The Word of God says so; be encouraged today!
Do the Bible verses above about intercession give you confidence that you ARE called to be an intercessor? If so, leave a comment below and boldly declare: “I AM called to be an intercessor, and my prayers accomplish MUCH!”
Jamie Rohrbaugh equips people to walk in the manifest presence of God. She blogs for a global readership at FromHisPresence.com, where she writes about prayer, the prophetic word, living supernaturally, inner healing, and Kingdom wealth. Her writing is featured on YouVersion, Charisma Magazine, The Elijah List, Spirit Fuel, and various other ministry outlets. Her podcast, Take Your Territory with Jamie Rohrbaugh, can be found on iTunes and Spotify. Download her FREE ebook, Praying the Names of God: 555 Biblical Names of God and How To Use Them In Prayer and Worship, here. (Photo by Canva.)
Partner with Us
Intercessors for America is the trusted resource for millions of people across the United States committed to praying for our nation. If you have benefited from IFA's resources and community, please consider joining us as a monthly support partner. As a 501(c)3 organization, it's through your support that all this possible.
Thanks for Praying!