SANCTUARY STATES ON THE RISE – HOW DO WE PRAY?
California and Illinois have declared themselves sanctuary states while New York City and a few other cities in New York have declared themselves sanctuary cities. Their decisions are causing financial devastation in areas already struggling. As I have prayed about this, I recognized the truth of how the natural often reflects the spiritual. They are spiritually bankrupt and so are going financially bankrupt. What’s at the top always filters down.
Let’s take a look at another state. Recently, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed one of the country’s most restrictive abortion bills into law which bans abortions once a fetal heartbeat has been detected—about six weeks of pregnancy. Exceptions are made in cases of rape, incest or medical emergency. (A state district court judge has ruled the law unconstitutional.)
Louisiana, Utah, North Dakota and Arkansas are not far behind and the Oklahoma legislature introduced a bill to follow suit this past December. These states are a different kind of sanctuary states. What does that mean? According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the first definition of sanctuary is: a consecrated place: such as the ancient Hebrew temple at Jerusalem or its holy of holies or the most sacred part of a religious building (such as the part of a Christian church in which the altar is placed). For the sake of clarity, I will refer to the consecrated states as Sanctuary and the lawless states as sanctuary.
We are watching as battle lines are drawn between the states that honor life (Sanctuary) and those that offer aid for lawlessness (sanctuary). What can we do? We must continue to pray–especially for our Christian brothers and sisters caught in the crossfire who find themselves now living in sanctuary states where lawlessness if allowed. To those, I speak to you now to let you know how important you are. You are not there by accident. You are intercessors essentially behind enemy lines and we stand with you.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:30-31)
This is not a time to condemn, but to stand united and pray fervently for revival by which we can take back the land.
This is how we can pray strategically:
- Pray for the hardened hearts and minds of the leaders which have declared their area a sanctuary city or state to be renewed and turn to God.
- I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)
- Pray for our brothers and sisters living in those cities and states that they will have courage and strength as we pray together for a turn around.
- Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)
- Pray that we remember this is a spiritual battle, not one of the flesh. We cannot be moved by what we see in the natural but remain steadfast in faith and prayer as we speak to the mountain before us.
- Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, “Go, throw yourself into the sea,” and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. (Mark 11:23)
May we all remember to daily pray for the leaders of Sanctuary states for protection, courage, and wisdom in the days ahead as well as for the leaders of the sanctuary states that their eyes will be opened and the spiritual bankruptcy of their hearts and minds will be turned to know Him.
(Note: As of this writing, the states that have already declared sanctuary status include: California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, Oregon and Vermont. However, there are cities in other states who have also taken this rogue status.)
What is your state? A Sanctuary or a sanctuary? Leave a comment.
Karen Hardin is an intercessor, author, minister and literary agent. For additional information you can contact her at www.prioritypr.org or karenhardin.com.
Partner with Us
Intercessors for America is the trusted resource for millions of people across the United States committed to praying for our nation. If you have benefited from IFA's resources and community, please consider joining us as a monthly support partner. As a 501(c)3 organization, it's through your support that all this possible.