Newsom plans assault weapon ban in wake of Supreme Court ruling
December 12, 2021 | California
California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Saturday he will try to pass legislation that will give citizens the right to sue anyone who sells an assault weapon or “ghost gun” in the state, seeking to harness last week’s Supreme Court ruling on a Texas abortion law for liberal priorities.
Gun-rights groups had warned the Supreme Court to expect that kind of move, if the justices didn’t stop Texas’ law.
Mr. Newsom is the first, though not likely to be the last, to take the step.
He said he was “outraged” by Friday’s ruling.
“But if states can now shield their laws from review by the federal courts that compare assault weapons to Swiss army knives, then California will use that authority to protect people’s lives, where Texas used it to put women in harm’s way,” the Democratic governor said… (Excerpts from Washington Times)