April 10, 2019 | Karen Hardin
To call the State Department “the most secular department in our government” may sound harsh, but the statement did not come from me. It came from someone who works on the inside.
On a recent trip to Washington, D.C. I had the privilege of going to the State Department and meeting with some of the staff. Their revelations were both startling and disturbing.
“What many people don’t realize is that about 80% of the current staff are holdovers from the previous administration. It is the most secular department in our government,” they began as we asked them how we could pray.
“In addition, we are halfway through Trump’s first term and still half of his staff are missing because senior leadership appointments hinge on Senate confirmation.”
They went on to explain that if confirmations (or the lack thereof) continue at the current pace, it would be eleven years before all of Trump’s appointees would be approved.
Why? Because with the current process, there must be two different votes for passage of confirmation which includes thirty hours of debate allowed for each confirmation. You can see how the obstruction can be drawn out for such lengths.
We need to break off the obstruction through intercession and pray in President Trump’s nominees both in the State Department as well as judicial nominations at every level.
How to pray:
- That the nominees President Trump has recommended for senior leaders would move forward speedily. And that the obstruction tactics of those in the confirmation hearings would be brought to a halt.
And it will be said, “Build up, build up, prepare the road. Remove the obstacles out of the way of My people.” (Is 57:14)
- That the new leaders Trump has recommended, once in place, will be able to quickly assemble their staffs to replace those currently in the State Department who are still supportive of the past administration and actively hindering the progress of the present administration.
- Pray for Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo for protection over him and his staff and protection over his relationship with President Trump. Pray that he would be effective as he carries out President Trump’s foreign affairs policies.
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield. (Ps 5:11-12)
- Pray for protection over Sam Brownback, the Ambassador for International Religious Freedom and his staff that they would be effective and courageous in their work but at the same time sensitive to the staff around them.
- Pray for the many nominees for judicial positions across our land that the obstruction of the appointments of godly men and women would be stopped. The same obstructionist tactics that we saw against Brett Kavanaugh are happening to other judicial nominees for lower court appointments across our land. It just does not hit the media to the same level and so it doesn’t hit our radar, but it needs to. Let this be our call to action and to prayer for them.
This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘If you will walk in obedience to me and keep my requirements, then you will govern my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you a place among these standing here. (Zec 3:7)
- Pray for the position of Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor to be filled with a godly leader. This position (and many others) has been vacant since November 2017.
- Pray for boldness and wisdom for Christians who are working in the State Department that they will have courage to speak up and be bold in their witness.
Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth rise up
and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed one. Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed. They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen. Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus. (Acts 4:25-30)
May we look back in the next year and no longer be able to say that the State Department is the most secular department in our government, but rather the most godly!
Karen Hardin is an intercessor, author, minister and literary agent. Her work has appeared in USA Today, World Net Daily, Intercessors for America, Charisma, CBN.com, The Elijah List, etc. For additional information you can contact her at www.prioritypr.org or karenhardin.com.