Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp issued a state of emergency order Thursday ahead of potential protests in Atlanta over the weekend in an effort to prevent the unrest and chaos that occurred during last week’s riots.

The order calls for 1,000 National Guard troops to be called up. It expires on Feb. 9.

“Georgians respect peaceful protests, but do not tolerate acts of violence against person or property,” the order states.

The order said the state of emergency was declared because of “unlawful assemblage, violence, overt threats of violence, disruption of the peace and tranquility of this state and danger existing to persons and property.”

The move comes after demonstrators took to the streets in Atlanta last weekend to protest the death of 26-year-old environmental activist Manuel Esteban Paez Teran. He was shot and killed by the Georgia State Patrol after authorities said Teran shot and wounded a state trooper who was trying to clear protesters from the construction site of a new public safety training center dubbed by activists as “Cop City.”…(Excerpt from Fox News)

Share

Click below to share this with others

Log in to Join the Conversation

Log in to your IFA account to start a discussion, comment, pray, and interact with our community.